Save the date!
Perspectives on the Science and Ethics of Animal-Based Research
UCLA, Covel Commons, 6pm-8:30pm, February 16th, 2010
With the goal of opening an on-going dialogue between individuals who are in favor or opposed to the use of animals in biomedical research, Bruins for Animals and Pro-Test for Science will be hosting a panel discussion on this complex topic. The event is open to those who want to engage in a civil, intellectually honest discussion on issues about which people hold passionate, differing opinions.
Three panelists on each side will briefly present their personal views on the topic, followed by moderator-driven discussion that will be responsive to questions submitted by the audience. The event will be moderated by David Lazarus of the Los Angeles Times.
The panel participants are:
- Janet D. Stemwedel, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Philosophy, San Jose State University. Professor Stemwedel will discuss her views about the ethical issues around animal use in scientific research.
- Ray Greek, M.D., President of Americans for Medical Advancement Dr. Greek will address the use of animals in basic research, specifically the cost benefit ratio.
- Colin Blakemore, FMedSci FRS, Professor of Neuroscience, Oxford University Professor Blakemore will discuss his views on the role of animal research in medicine and public health.
- Niall Shanks, Professor of History and Philosophy of Science, Wichita State University Professor Shanks the “prediction problem” in biomedical research.
- Dario L. Ringach, Ph.D., Professor of Neurobiology and Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles Professor Ringach will present is views on the role of basic science in driving medical advancement and knowledge.
- Robert Jones, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, California State University, Chico Professor Jones will discuss the philosophical and ethical implications of using nonhuman animals as subjects in medical and scientific research.
Admission is open to ticketed individuals only.
For information on requesting tickets, please go to http://www.pro-test-for-science.org