Belgian animal research numbers fall by 5%

The last statistical publication that Speaking of Research will be reviewing in 2017 are that of Belgium. These will be added to both our worldwide animal research statistics page, and the new Historical animal research statistics page.

In previous years, Belgium’s three regions (Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia) have published their statistics independently, but the Belgian Government is now collating these regional statistics themselves. In 2016, according to the Department Omgeving, Belgium conducted 535,829 procedures on animals, down 5.4% from 2015.

CC-BY: speakingofresearch.com
Click to Enlarge

Most of the overall fall came from a 40% fall in the number of fish used, from over 100,00 down to just over 60,000 (a 39% fall). There were also falls in rats (11%) and guinea pigs (7%). There were rises in the use of rabbits (11%) and birds (37%), while mice – the most commonly used species – remained almost identical from the previous year.

CC-BY: speakingofresearch.com As in most countries, mice remain the most common species used (62% of all procedures), followed by fish (11%). rabbits (9%), birds (6%) and rats (6%). While mice, rats, birds and fish account together for 86% of all animals (common for many European countries), the proportion of rabbits is higher than in many other countries. Dogs, cats and primates together accounted for less than 0.4% of research, with only the number of cats rising from the previous year (from 82 to 123).

CC-BY: speakingofresearch.comThe number of animal procedures in Belgium has now fallen to its lowest point in the last two decades, down 38% from 1997.

CC-BY: speakingofresearch.com
Click to Enlarge

Retrospective reporting of severity showed that 60% were Mild or Non-Recovery (where the animal is anaesthetised and never woken up), 22% were Moderate, and 18% were considered Severe – a fairly high proportion compared with other European countries and possibly reflecting the amount of regulatory research.

Other points of interest from the 2016 statistical release:

  • Basic Research was the most common use (53.0%) followed by Regulatyory and Routine productioin (24.8%), and Translational and Applied Research (19.8%).
  • Re-use of animals accounted for 1.52% of all procedures
  • 23.4% of animal procedures involved genetically altered animals, with the remaining 76.6% not being genetically altered

Source of Belgian Statistics: https://www.lne.be/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Statistieken%20proefdieren%20Belgie%202016.pdf

See previous years’ reports:

Join the conversation

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.